In this article I’ll be reviewing the newest microphone in my collection – the Senal MC-24ES.
People primarily know me as a still photographer but over the years I’ve been creating a lot more videos for clients and that means I’ve been adding more and more gear to my bags for capturing spectacular video as well as great audio.
a New Camera, a New Finish For a Very Popular Camera and a New Lens
- There are plenty of industry shows each year but the month of January is well known for the Consumer Electronics Show (or CES) in Las Vegas. CES is a massive show that I’ve attended numerous times and it’s always been a very fun time for me. At CES visitors can see lots of brand new products, but traditionally it’s a show that highlights home electronics (TV’s, stereo systems, appliances, etc.) and mobile electronics (car stereo, security and navigation systems).
Throughout the year camera manufacturers will take advantage of the gathered press at a big show to introduce new gear and this years CES was no exception. Three announcements caught my attention and with this article I’ll talk about them and what they mean to me as well as what it could be predicting for the future.
LED Video Lights From Aputure Marked Down For the Holidays
- My favorite reasonably priced video lights from Aputure are on sale for the holidays and, if you’re in the market to buy some new LED lights (or are looking for an awesome gift for someone special) then I can’t recommend these deals enough. In this article I’ll talk about why I’ve fallen in love with Aputure products – and I’ll share the current deals I’ve found at B&H.
Some of my Favorite Amazon Gift Ideas for Photographers and Videographers
- It’s the holiday shopping season and I wanted to take a few minutes to share some gift ideas for the photographer or videographer in your life. There’s a lot of great gear these days and I have some favorites that range from extremely inexpensive to super pricy (but still a bargain). My camera bags are filled with lots of gear that gets used regularly and in this article I’ll share some quick favorites, most of which are on sale for the holidays.I know there are several places to find every gift suggestion I give but so many people use Amazon.com these days I’m including direct links right in the article.
Everything in this gift suggestion article is something I personally own or have tested so I feel extremely confident in making every recommendation I make.
The Aputure AL-H198 (Real World) Gear Review
Today marks the beginning of real product reviews on my blog. Since the beginning of my blog I’ve tried to be super inclusive of all visitors by not concentrating on the gear I use. Instead I’ve talked about the results I achieve and the techniques I used to get them. I’ve been a Sony shooter since well before it was OK to shoot Sony cameras so gear reviews just were not something I was interested in doing. But things change and, while the tips and techniques are great, there are real gear choices that need to be made. So with this review of the Aputure Amran AL-H198 I’m going to start sharing real world reviews of some of the gear I use on a regular basis. If you are making videos then light is super important and in this review I’ll be looking at a superb 198 LED video light that is extremely affordable. Continue reading
the Monorail photographed in an empty Epcot
- For this week’s featured image of the week I want to revisit an older shot of mine that’s still one of my favorites from my many visits to Walt Disney World Resort. I call this shot the Monorail in Epcot and it has a lot of elements in it including the famous Disney World Monorail and the Epcot icon, Spaceship Earth. But the thing that makes it special is the fact that I was able to capture the shot with absolutely nobody in the final shot from a place that would normally be impossible to get a shot like this. In this article I’ll talk about how I was able to get the shot, the settings I used and even share a shot of what it normally looks like when you take a picture from this exact same place.
You can see a larger version of this image on 500px here
Featured Image of the Week Will Return Next Week
- This week began with me taking a few days off to celebrate the birthday of my girlfriend Deb. Since I didn’t have the time to put together a detailed Featured Image of the Week I’m posting a quick picture from my last trip to Walt Disney World Resort.
Sony A7R III Officially Announced
- Today Sony Officially announced what I consider to be their most eagerly awaited upgrade to the A7 line of cameras, the Sony A7R III. The A7R III is the third revision of the highest resolution camera in Sony’s full frame E-Mount lineup and, even though the final resolution is identical to the A7R II version, it’s received some substantial improvements – including a pixel shift system that will deliver a much higher quality 42MP image. In this article I’ll take a look at the A7R III design, specifications, expected availability and price. I’ll also share my thoughts about what the RIII version of the A7R camera means to me and I’ll give a few predictions about the rest of the Sony mirrorless lineup.
Vietnam Veterans Memorial | Featured Image of the Week
Click here to see a larger version of this image on 500px
Recently I watched the brilliant 10 part documentary about Vietnam by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick and, like every documentary I watch from them, I had a completely different feeling about a memorial I’ve been visiting for almost a decade. The documentary was difficult at times but it was definitely worth the effort. I’ll truly never look at the marble wall of names the same way again.
While the war in Vietnam is certainly a questionable time for our country there’s no denying the power of the memorial to the veterans of the war. Seeing all those names puts a real human cost to war and it makes visiting this special place on the National Mall is a requirement when traveling to Washington, DC. In this Featured Image of the Week article I’ll share a few more images and some tips and tricks I use when I photograph the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
a Family Portrait Shoot
- For this weeks Featured Image of the Week I wanted to share a shot from a recent Family Portrait Shoot with Sam, John and baby Syd. The core of my business photography is corporate and product photography and my personal photography passions are travel, landscape and wildlife so this might seem out of place. But like all photographers there’s more that we do that isn’t always shared. In my case I shoot plenty of portraits, headshots and sometimes even weddings. I rarely share those images because my company branding requires me to stick to my core products – but today I’m going to go ahead and talk a bit about shooting family portraits on location.